Monday, September 12, 2011

By His Wounds & Maybe Our Own


We all go through difficult trials and situations. Many times we come out on the other side of these situations wounded, scared and hurt.
We each handle both the situations and the outcomes in various ways. Some may wallow in self-pity; some may go into a state of depression, while others may totally ignore any feelings and try to go on as if nothing has happened. You know the type right? Pull the mask on and continue on our way pretending all is great (I don’t think I am the only one). We all have different personalities so it only makes sense that we handle things differently. But, as I read 1 Peter 2:24, although I have read it many times, I began to think about this verse and the very words it holds for us.
“He himself bore our sins in his body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed. “
By His wounds we are healed, healed from our transgressions, healed from sin so we can live for Christ. Here’s the thing: I think He also will allow healing by our own wounds. We have to allow this healing just as we have to accept him in order to allow healing from his wounds. The wounds we incur perhaps by abuse as a child, an unfaithful spouse, a wayward child, the list goes on. Could he allow healing from our own wounds if we didn’t push these hurts deep inside, but perhaps let them surface and allow God to put his healing balm on them?
Romans 8:28 “And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”

I know it isn’t easy, and I know some hurts are worse than others. I truly believe though that if we allow God to he will allow us to heal from our own wounds. You may be thinking I am crazy at this point. But, there is a healing that goes deeper than these hurts caused us, a healing that allows God to use us to help others, to reach the lost, and show others to the Ultimate Healer.

So, why don’t we reveal these wounds to God, he knows they are there anyway, and allow ourselves to be healed by our own wounds which can also help in the healing of others. After all, he did use his wounds to heal us. And it was a healing that will last for all eternity.
Sweet Blessings,
Margaret

1 comment:

beBOLDjen said...

I've done my fair share of stuffing and masking too. Consequently I never got good at identifying how I felt about things. When I'm not processing things with God as they come I tend to be a much more reactive person. Which is never a good thing! Thanks for this reminder to allow God room to work in those places.