Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I Am Special?


This week at The Gate we are having Bible School for the younger children. Instead of the typical Bible School material we have taken Max Lucado's children's book "You Are Special" and "Splash" and created our lessons for the week.
What a strong lesson in this little story about Wimmicks. The Wimmicks are created by Eli. Eli portrays who God is to us as our creator. You see Punchinello learns that if he goes to Eli everyday then the stickers(some get stars,some get dots) that people put on him will fall off. It doesn't matter what they think only what Eli (God) thinks.
A children's story sure, but what a great lesson for us big kids too. Don't we tend to worry more about what others think of us, and allow that to shape who we are,or if we are accepted, rather than remember that we ARE who God created us to be? He loves us. No matter how great our hair is or isn't, if we are short or tall, skinny or chunky, in stylish clothes or hand-me-downs. I am so guilty of this, I am certain I am the only one right? Its my heart that matters, and honestly most days I spend more time working on how I am going to appear to everyone I see that day than I do working on my heart which is what God is going to see and cares about the most. You know what? Everyone sees my heart. When they do will it be a heart like his or not so much.
Today we will share the story of The Woman at the Well. I feel so sorry for this woman. She is condemned and judged by others because of her past mistakes (her dots), but how amazing a transformation when she realizes that she is talking to Jesus, he forgives her, she will receive a spiritual drink of living water and my friends her dots fall off too!
"Whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life." John 4:14
The whole "dot" thing will make much more sense if you read Max's book "You Are Special". If you have children or grandchildren its definitely one that you will want to get and read to them over and over. Lauren is 21 and Spencer Margaret is 17 and I read it to them, they loved it! You can listen to it on You Tube by clicking here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Scj3A1cLVzY .
God's love is amazing friends. I hope you will feel that love today.
Sweet Blessings,
Margaret

No comments: